All right, people – here it is: My
Manifesto on Food. “Finally!” you’re thinking. I know. So after much reading
and researching and gnashing of teeth (I really need to start wearing my night
guard), I’ve decided to purposefully ingest poultry. Now, I’m not breaking up
with vegetarianism, we’re just reassessing our relationship. It all started
with an inkling. Actually, the whole vegetarian thing started with an inkling
back in college. A vegetarian roommate, the mystery meat in the dining hall,
and the dizzying heights of being an individual left to my own devices all got
me thinking that maybe I should give this vegetarian thing a try. Here and
there I might have the rogue meatball, but I remember the moment when I
couldn’t finish my chicken quesadilla at a nearby eatery. “No more!” I declared
in my mind. It didn’t taste very good, and moreover, it didn’t feel good. With
vegetarian fare, however, I found that I could fully enjoy and indulge in every
crunch, chomp, and moosh of buttery asparagus, or mashed potatoes, or lovely
mixtures of couscous and curry. Truly, vegetarian foods are varied and so
tasty, packed with flavor and invariably healthier. That is, if you’re managing
to avoid the weeknight shuffle of “Eh, let’s just get a pizza” or cobbling
together of various starchy cheesy chemically bits and pieces. After a full day of work, I find myself more
often in this predicament than in one where I am measuring my protein, B12, and
Omega 3 intake. Energy levels go down, coffee intake up. Now, coffee is a
wonderful and delicious ritual, but I’d rather it give me a bit of a buzz
rather than keep me simply puttering along. When I first switched to a
vegetarian diet, I enjoyed numerous benefits of clearer skin, feeling lighter
all around, and yes, a bit of pride and moral righteousness. Now I find myself
more easily run down and it is very difficult to feel sated even when I’m full.
Vegetables and fruits – locally grown, in season, eaten with
wild abandon while the gettin’s good.
Mild fish – sustainable, low-mercury, wild, rich in Omega-3s…generally
this will involve eating as low on the food chain as possible (i.e. sardines)
and opting for less popular choices (so long tuna and flounder).
Poultry – free-range, pasture-raised, organic, local chicken
mostly. My vegetarian lifestyle has prepared me to settle for nothing less. I
don’t need meat so badly that I’m willing to have another being suffer its
whole life away in a cramped dirty cage for me. I’m voting with my money as to
which farming method I prefer for this country.
All of these things are ideally provided by a local farm
that has figured out its own natural process of self-sustenance. If you haven’t
done so already, I highly recommend that you read about the process of Polyculture farming. To give a basic overview, sing this to the
tune of “Dem Bones”: The grass grows in the pasture, the pasture feeds the
cowsies, the cowsies poop on the pasture, the chickens eat up the poop seeds,
the poop gets spread as manure, the manure in turn feeds the pasture, dem farms
dem farms dem farms.
No comments:
Post a Comment