Sunday, June 2, 2013

A rose by any other name might be sherbet.

As we are now looking into the face of summer, it's again time for projects, recipes, and blogging.

Projects: learning the banjo and pumping out artwork for a show mid-summer
Recipes: Rose Sherbet
Blogging: you're looking at it.

I've been wanting to try this rose sherbet for a while now, ever since I saw it in a cookbook of recipes made at Roald Dahl's house. Here is this bowl of lovely pink treat, made of just water, sugar, lemon, glycerine and rose petals. It appeals to my love for simple foods and my preference for pink.

Lucky for me, we just so happen to have the most sweet-smelling Linda McCartney rosebush in front of our house that I have adored for many seasons. It is bursting with flowers right now, and I cut 5 from it for this sherbet.

Water and sugar boil together to form the syrup, then the rose petals and lemon zest are added to make a sort of flower tea. The concoction sits overnight and by this point has turned a sad beige color with greenish white petals floating in it like wet toilet paper. Stay with me.
Once the petals are strained out, glycerine and lemon juice are added, turning the whole thing a joyous pink again.

The final result is frozen with frequent stirrings to keep it loose and it tastes like a lemon Italian ice with strong floral notes.


In my opinion, the perfect ode to the start of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment