I don’t have new pictures for this post, so we will have a
smattering of summer recap photos.
Pools are closing for the season, my favorite roadside ice
cream stand has a week left, and the last few tomatoes are dangling on browned
vines. It’s the end of summer, folks. I would have denied it for another month
if possible, but these markers will not allow. It’s not that I dislike fall,
not by any stretch. I actually love fall. I love sweaters and rainy days and
crunchy leaves and hot cider and pie. I think Thanksgiving may even be my
favorite holiday. Oh, but summer…
As someone who has (somewhat) recently fallen in love with
eating out of my own garden, fall marks the end of my bountiful season. Goodbye
to fresh caprese salad, the basil has gone skunky, the mint is dried up and
exhausted by the relentless sun, and this last batch of peach lavender ice
cream is lackluster with peaches that were at the end of their fruity rope.
I’ve been reading The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball
again, and it inspired me enough with tales of a farm’s first hardworking year
to get out into my yard and clean things up for the season. With gloves and
hoe, I chopped up the overgrown weeds, pulled out the withered tomato plants,
and stacked their cages. After a full summer of lovely growth that begins to
tower over my head, I’m always amazed at the state of clear bareness to which
the garden can return. I found that the soil was a wonderful shade of deep
brown, nutrient rich even before I have added the compost that’s been sludging
around my barrel.
A word about the compost. Normally I would say that my
compost is a fairly balanced mixture of kitchen scraps and yard refuse. Your
greens and your browns that keep it all breaking down nicely and smelling…not
great, but not bad, either. Well, the other day I was taking another bucket out
to be deposited into the hot, buggy barrel, and what I saw was unlike anything I
had seen before. I suppose it had been a while since I had opened it up, and
things were breaking down to the point of – tar? It looked like a tar pit, you
know, like the kind that burps up dinosaur parts? It was almost black, the
consistency of slimy mud, and all around it, just under the surface was the
slithering of some seriously happy, fat worms. My guess was that maybe we had
gotten a little kitchen waste-heavy and there wasn’t so much dried up brown
stuff to even it out. Anyway, it was gross. It was gross in the way that
delights nine-year-olds and myself.
I also planted a crop of small lettuce heads that
will give us a nice punch of crunchy green as the weather turns crispy. This
was my first time not only doing a fall planting, but also harvesting the
lettuce seeds myself from their fluffy little pods. Once the lettuce sends up
its leggy flower shoots, the seeds are created much like dandelion puffs. You
can then gently grab them, give them a few twists between two fingers, and the
seeds drop off into your waiting palm below. Easy! These particular lettuces
were gifted into my garden by my elderly Mennonite gardening friend, Verna.
They are lovely small heads that can be harvested in single leaves or chopped
at the base to take advantage of their tender hearts. I hope they come through!
Finally this week, I made one last batch of bright lime
cilantro salsa with our own tomatoes and jalapenos along with a savory chicken
and veggie pie. One to say goodbye to summer, one to welcome in the homey cool
weather.
Lime Cilantro Salsa
Set a small pot of water to boil. Blanch 6 large tomatoes
(or their equivalent) so that you can easily peel their skin away. Chop the
tomatoes finely and put in your large mixing bowl. Use the rest of the boiling
water to pour over half a chopped onion and a few cloves of minced garlic that
are waiting in a sieve or colander. Add them to the mix. Mince two jalapenos
with the seeds and white removed. It will be a spicy salsa this way. Rough chop
a big ole handful of fresh cilantro and add to the mix. Add the juice of one
big fresh lime. Salt and pepper to taste. Thank me later.
Savory Chicken Pie
I already had about a half cup of pulled chicken (free range
organic), so I didn’t have to prepare that part. See if you can get your hands on
some of that and then get free range organic chicken broth (they carry it at
Weis markets). Set up your heavy cast iron skillet with 2 T of butter. Add 1
chopped up carrot, 2 chopped up celery stalks, a handful of chopped fingerling
potatoes, and some chopped broccoli. Saute with a little water to steam
everything for 5 minutes or so. Stir in 2 T of flour until it gets a little
toasty. When it starts to stick just a bit, add 2 cups of chicken broth to the
mix and scrape all of that goodness off the bottom. Let it cook for probably 10
minutes or until the gravy thickens. Add chicken, salt, and pepper to taste.
Pour the mixture into a separate bowl and allow it to cool down. Run out to the
store because you realize you do not have pie crusts. Get 2. Allow to thaw on
the ride home, then pour your mixture into the first crust. Cut off the crimped
edge of the second crust and flip it onto the top of your now covered pie.
Crimp the new edges together. Cut 4 slashes in the middle of the pie just like
the pie that little Jack Horner stuck his thumb into. Brush the top with an egg wash mixture of
water and egg. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Serve to an applauding audience. Or,
cut up and freeze for the week.
skunky basil is the worst! ; )
ReplyDelete