Unless you've been camping, out to sea, or trapped under something heavy for the last year, you've probably heard a little something about a website called
Pinterest. I had heard about it plenty, but I simply did not want to jump on the crafty, webby, picture posty bandwagon. Until maybe a month ago. Coerced by my mother, I slowly started to "pin" interesting ideas onto these cyber "bulletin boards." For those of you familiar with the website, you know it's a dangerous, time-sucking, ingenious place. You get to see all of the things you could ever want to do with Mod Podge, or fruit, or furniture design. For me, it doesn't stop at pinning these things - I find myself dashing out to get whatever supplies are deemed necessary for said creation, then spending the better part of the afternoon making it. I'm starting to suspect that Pinterest may just be what saves the economy. But I digress. This post is about one such creation - Peach Lavender Ice Cream.
 |
| Bee-flavored lavender buds |
Holy good loveliness in a bowl. This concoction is pure summer on a spoon, an herby taste of fresh fruit and sweetness. The link to the original recipe is
here and it combines all the major players of peaches, dried lavender, honey, milk, cream, and coconut milk. Now, it does require some roasting of the peaches, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with lavender buds for about a half hour. This does not please me on a hot day, but, sacrifices. It also does a bit of a number on whatever pan you roast them in, but the scrubbing will burn the calories you're about to ingest. The only alteration I made to the recipe was to add a dash of vanilla so as to keep the ice cream from freezing into a brick after about a day. Did you know that homemade ice cream needs this little bit of alcohol for such reasons? You do now.
 |
| Peachy perfection |
I was thwarted in this regard, however. See, ice cream is great for hot days, but sometimes, hot days are not great for ice cream making. I was a little impatient and probably didn't chill the mixture as long as it needed, and the freezer probably didn't freeze the tub as completely as it should have, so after an hour of churning to no avail, I threw the whole soupy mixture in some Tupperware and let it chill out on its own. What resulted was an icy sort of sorbet that was hard as a brick of course. Too little churning. But icy or not, this stuff is so delicious. Once you chip away at it enough to fill the better part of a bowl, you're in heaven. I didn't know the gloriousness of homemade ice cream until just this summer, but I cannot say enough about how lovely the frozen freshness is. If you're going to do the heavy cream calories, do it right. Goodnight!
No comments:
Post a Comment