Now, did the real equipment make a difference? I can't say for my dog, though I imagine she was happier with the cooler nylon than the fake sheepskin of her car harness. For me, the real belt was soooo much more comfortable. Everything was streamlined, and the padding on the belt was like the difference between a cot and a mattress. I also felt more confident that the design wasn't putting any undue stress on little pooch's muscles in bad ways. And we had a great time outrunning the rain! I can tell that little by little she is getting stronger and better able to keep her stamina up for pulling the lazy mama behind her.
As a bonus, I also took advantage of a sale on dog booties to try to stave off any damage to the pup pads. They are from REI and have sturdy rubber soles with velcro around what equates to a dog wrist or ankle to secure them.
Have you ever seen a dog try on her first pair of shoes? I highly recommend putting yourself in that situation. My dog at first could not understand that the shoes did not render her feet useless as she rested her front paw on its toes, then flopped over to lie on her side when the second shoe was fitted to her. Once she was baited with treats, she began to try to make sense of her new feet, striking straight out into the air in front of her, then bringing the foot down on the floor with a clop. As a whole, she appeared much like a high-stepping Saddlebred horse. When I took her outside, she took off at a gallop and the booties flew off into the air around her with the increased momentum and all in all, I felt like I was living in a cartoon.
Through all of this, I had to stifle my laughter with a hand tightly clapped to my mouth. If you didn't know that Shetland Sheepdogs were very sensitive dogs, you do now. They are easily embarrassed and I didn't want her to associate her new booties with deep personal shame. Soon, I will try the whole gamut of gear together and we'll see what kind of hilarity ensues.

No comments:
Post a Comment